Increasing gender equality in the workplace has become a priority for organisations around the world, and research shows gender diversity is correlated with improved company performance. Today, most organisations are working to recruit and retain more women in order to improve productivity, build resiliency, and improve their brand and reputation. Increasing gender equality in the workplace requires the commitment of both organisations and individuals. Organisations must address the structural barriers that inhibit general equality, while individuals must acquire the knowledge, tools, and behaviours known to promote workplace gender inclusion.
The Workplace Gender Accelerated programme prepares managers to become the agents of change within their organisations by developing the skills needed to:
- Identify gender inequality gaps within their organisations
- Develop a business case that demonstrates how gender equality will benefit the organisation’s botton-line
- Take targeted, tangible and strategic action grounded in assessment, to increase gender equality in their organisation
- Strengthen leadership and change management skills and exercise more influence to create and equitable and diverse workplace
- Effectively engage other male and female leaders within their organisations in support of desired change
Learning Objectives and Benefits
Following the course, an organization with participating employees will be able to:
- Define and articulate the key gaps, strategic actions, and organizational benefits of gender equality, including improved business performance, resilience, and employee satisfaction and well-being.
- Implement strategic actions that enable the organization to meet its gender equality and diversity goals.
- Leverage the knowledge and improved skills of participating staff to introduce gender equality initiatives at each phase of the employee lifecycle, from recruitment and hiring, to succession planning and retirement.
- Build a positive national and international reputation and brand by showcasing the organization’s commitment to gender equality and highlighting USAID and academic partnerships and employees’ university certifications.
- Connect to an international network of academic institutions, international partners, and organizations operating within the region and industry, and access learning and engagement opportunities.
Who should attend
The accelerated course is designed for female and male managers who wish to develop their gender equality expertise, boost their influence, and spearhead change within their organisations, operation leaders, HR managers, and managers of other support functions who are strategically placed within their organisations to influence change are encouraged to apply. Each course accepts up to fifty participants, and organisations are required to send two to three employees.
Structure and Curriculum
- Gender equality and the role of male leaders as allies
- Gender strategy and change management
- Gender equality in the workforce
- Gender equality in management and leadership teams
- Build your gender equality action plan and plan for success
- Gender equality: The vision
- Gender equality: The benefits
- Gender equality, organisational culture, and corporate communications
- Gender equality: The obstacles
- Empower yourself and lead the change
- To access application materials, click the Apply Now tab
- Organizations are required to send two to three mid-to-senior level managers. A point of contact at the organisation should assemble and submit the organisation’s application package. Which includes:
- The completed application document.
- A commitment letter signed by your organisation’s leadership (see sample included in the application package). The letter should indicate organisational support for the participation of two to three employees in the course, and a commitment to apply the lessons learned in the course to improve gender equality in the workplace.
- CVs for each of the proposed participants.
- A motivation letter written by each of the proposed participants.
3. Accelerated Course administrators will review each organisation’s application, notify organisations of acceptance, and send invitations to register and join.
4. Accepted organisations complete registration and submit course payment.
5.Accepted organisations and individuals must complete the following activities in advance of the course:
- Rapid Organizational Equality Assessment. This work can be completed by one individual or shared by several employees. Estimated time to complete: eight hours.
- Learner Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices Survey. This survey must be completed by each participant. Estimated time to complete: 15 minutes.
- Gender 101 Webinar and Quiz. This training must be completed by each participant one month before the course starts. Estimated time to complete: two hours.
6. Organisations will manage in-person travel and logistics with support from the Accelerated Course administrator.
This course is facilitated by an international team of Engendering Utilities change-management experts in conjunction with faculty from university partners, including from Lagos Business School.
Facilitators have more than 15 years of experience in gender equality, leadership, change management, and human resources management. The course is designed to be delivered in person over the course of one week.
Following the course, participants will receive three months of virtual coaching to implement the action plan developed during the course.