Family-owned businesses contribute significantly to the economic development, wealth creation, and employment of most emerging economies. Though family businesses are key components of the economies of most countries, only a few family businesses survive between the founding generation to the next. The failure rate is so high such that less than 30% of family businesses survive to the 2nd generation, while under 10% of such businesses survive to the 3rd generation.
The implication is that the survival rate of most African family businesses beyond the founder’s generation is extremely low. The most successful family firms, however, are those in which there is a good balance between professional management, responsible business ownership and a healthy family dynamic.
The family business management seminar has been structured to address the key issues that impact the growth and sustainability of such family businesses. The seminar is planned to equip families-in-business with the required understanding, planning, and leadership for co-creating a shared and sustainable future.
Learning Objectives and Benefits
After the programme, you will be able to:
- Articulate the family business model and how to leverage the unique strengths of family businesses to achieve superior performances and healthy family relationships
- Develop the key elements of institution building, governance/strategy and the need/steps to professionalize the management and board of the business for efficiency and sustainability
- Differentiate between the roles and responsibilities of management, boards & the family institutions (family assembly, family councils etc)
- Evaluate the key elements of Transgenerational succession and how to develop concrete action plan for successful transition
- Articulate the key decisions and action steps required to sustain the family wealth and legacy
Who should attend
The programme is designed to benefit the following leaders:
- Owner managers
- Spouses and offsprings of founders of family businesses
- Top management of family businesses
- Financiers/suppliers of family businesses
- Professional advisors of family businesses (including consultants, accountants, lawyers, public relation practitioners etc.
Structure and Curriculum
- The uniqueness/dynamics of family businesses
- Institutionalising the Family Enterprise
- Importance of Governance for multigenerational Businesses-owning Families
- Capstone Project
- Managing Succession – The leadership Challenge
- Managing Succession – Successor Choice Dilemmas and Strategies for Effective Implementation
- Maintaining and Growing the Family Wealth
1. Click on the Apply Now tab
2. Select the number of participants to enroll on the programme
3. Fill in your details to complete your application
4. Request for an invoice or make an instant payment via our secured payment gateway
5. Upon confirmation of payment, a programme manager will get in touch with you at least three days before the programme commences.
Dr Okey Nwuke
Prof Chris Ogbechie
Prof Fabian Ajogwu
Prof Akintola Owolabi